Application deadlines have been extended for this program to December 22nd, 2017
Teaching about East Asia Seminar at the University of Pennsylvania Spring 2018 is a seminar for middle and high school teachers of World History, World Cultures, Geography, Economics, Language, Language Arts and Literature, and Visual and Performing Arts.
Hosted at the University of Pennsylvania's Center for East Asian Studies with support by the Freeman Foundation in association with the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA) through the NCTA Pittsburgh National Coordinating Site.
- Winter and spring 2018 - commitment to attend all sessions which comprise 30 contact hours and submit all written work
- Fall 2018 - commitment to attend all follow-up curriculum sessions - 6 hours
- Currently teaching or designing a course in which adequate time is devoted to the study of Asia. The applicant can also be a supervisor, or demonstrate/ resource teacher responsible for training other teachers.
- Written support of school administrator to retain the course in the curriculum
How can "the standards" relate to your teaching?
This seminar will provide you with both the content and resources needed to implement the study of East Asia into your curriculum. Topics will support the National Standards for World History, the AP World History Syllabus, and the IB program.
Four Saturday sessions at area musuem and the University of Pennsylvania, 9:00 am — 3:00 pm; and two Thursday evening sessions at University of Pennsylvania, 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm (30 hours in all).
Benefits to Participants:
- $200 professional stipend to each participant upon satisfactory completion of all seminar requirements: attendance at all sessions and submission of all written assignments
- $100 mini-grant for school-related materials and activities
- Seminar books and teaching materials
- Complimentary subcription to Education About Asia
- Certificate of completion
- Eligibility to apply for summer programs on East Asia
- Act 48 hours will be available
- Margaret Lonzetta and Lesley Solomon, Seminar Leaders National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA)
- Professors of history, political science, art, literature and anthropology from the University of Pennsylvania
- Museum Educators
For specific questions about the seminar, cotact Lesley Solomon at email@example.com.