Japanese House and Garden
The Shofuso, or Pine Breeze Villa, is a Japanese house built in the shoin style of the seventeenth century, located in a Japanese garden in Fairmount Park, about three miles north of the Penn campus. Owned by the City of Philadelphia and operated by the Friends of the Japanese House and Garden, the Shofuso is open from May through October. Visitors are offered tours of the house featuringexplanations of the geologic, climatic, and cultural reasons for its unique structure. Festivals celebrate the changing of the seasons at the House, and demonstrations of the Japanese tea ceremony are performed on an occasional basis. For further information, please call 215-878-5097 or see http://www.shofuso.com/.
The Japan-America Society
The Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia was established in 1994 and is devoted to fostering relationships between Americans and Japanese by promoting and encouraging a better understanding of the business, cultural, social, educational and political practices and customs of Japan and the United States. The Society's membership is extended to individuals, non-profit organizations, and corporations.
The programs for the current year include:
- Monthly "Culture Night" and "Conversation Club" meetings
- Quarterly "Business Seminar for Japanese Executives"
- The annual "Golf Outing" in September
- "Sake/Sushi Tasting" in October
- A private reception and tour for the "West Meets East" collection at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in December
- The "Philadelphia-Japan Health Sciences Seminar" in February
- "Tree Planting Ceremony" for one hundred cherries along Fairmount Park in March
- And the "Cherry Blossom Gala" in April.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art
The Philadelphia Museum of Art is among the largest and most important art museums in the United States. The collection of East Asian art, with objects dating from the third millennium B.C. to the present, includes ceramics, sculpture, paintings, and decorative objects as well as a Japanese ceremonial teahouse, a Chinese palace hall, and a celebrated collection of Oriental carpets. It is located at Benjamin Franklin Parkway and 26th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130. Tel: 215-763-8100. View its website at http://www.philamuseum.org/.